* (Page 1 of 3)
With a fast-growing congregation, and a Sunday School membership of 225, more space became necessary. So on December 7, 1913, ground was broken for a new church building on a Main Street lot donated by the New Jersey Zinc Company. The red brick building with white wood trim was completed in record time at a cost of $25,000 and was paid for by the "generous subscription" of the congregation. It consisted of two main divisions: the Sanctuary (then known as the Auditorium) and the Sunday School room.
The interior was finished in mission style with matching furniture; a kitchen and ladies parlor were at the rear of the Sunday School room. Dedication services were held on December 14th, 1914. For many years both morning and evening services were held on the Sabbath.
The congregation continued to flourish and organizations such as the Ladies Ways and Means Society, the Men’s Brotherhood and the Young People’s Christian Endeavor were organized. A pipe organ was installed in March 1927 at the cost of $4500 and was used until an electronic organ was donated in January 1967. In 1986, a Rogers Oxford 925 Organ was purchased and a dedication was held on November 23rd of that year.
A two-story education wing-consisting of the Great Hall, a kitchen, a choir room and several Sunday School rooms-was added to the building in 1969 and was dedicated on January 18, 1970. This addition has been used not only for our church activities, but also as a meeting place for many community organizations, as schoolrooms, which were rented to the Franklin Board of Education, and later, as rooms for the Head Start Program. The large kitchen permits the congregation to host social activities and fund raising dinners. In 1990, a second story was added to the church office, providing a separate secretary’s room on the main floor and a Pastor’s office with a private entrance on the second floor.
During the past 100 years people of all ages, nationalities and races, regardless of their faith background, have been welcomed into our congregation. Two ethnic groups in particular have had an impact on our growth.
Because work was plentiful in the Zinc Company
during the 1902’s and 30’s, no less than 75 families arrived in
from Cornwall, England. Many joined our congregation and held positions
such as Clerk of Session, Elders, Trustees, Sextons and Sunday School
A Cornish Men’s Choir sang at Sunday evening services once each month.
Four generations of Cornish people have been active in our congregation.
Early in the twentieth century, close to three hundred Hungarians lived in and around Franklin. In 1908, those of the Protestant faith formed the Hungarian Reformed Church, which in later years became the Franklin Hungarian Presbyterian Church. In 1910, a schoolhouse, with its bell, was moved to Evans Street from the town of Edison, east of Ogdensburg. For the next sixty-three years, countless Hungarian families worshipped there according to their cultural inheritance. However, toward the end of that period, their membership dwindled to seventy, and in 1973, the church dissolved. A number of its members joined our congregation and have served in many capacities to further the ministry of the church. In May 1990, we held a two-day Hungarian festival to dedicate the old bell, which had been removed from the Hungarian church and installed on our church lawn.
For nearly two decades we have united with the Franklin communities of Temple Shalom and the Immaculate Conception Church in an Ecumenical Thanksgiving service. On Thanksgiving Eve we gather together, alternating services among the three houses of worship and concluding each evening with a reception and fellowship hour.
by: Sylvia Hadowanetz
(click for Page 2)